Sefton Park is a public park first opened in 1872 by Prince Arthur. The park occupies part of a medieval deer park which surrounded the village of Toxteth. The land was purchased in 1864, in 1866 a brief a public competition for the design of the park was awarded to Edouard Andre and Louis Hornblower.
In 2005 Liverpool City Council received approval for a £5 million Heritage Lottery funded renovation project which involved the refurbishment and improvement of many of the park’s features including the ‘Dell’ also known as ‘The Fairy Glen’ cascade water feature. Works began during 2007, The Fountain Company Ltd was commissioned to design, supply and install three new water features within the park including the Fairy Glen Cascades, The Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain & the Bandstand Water Feature.
The Fairy Glen features several water cascades flowing over an existing rock face and into a rock-lined pool to the east of the park. Water is drawn from an adjacent water course through a fabricated strainer pit designed to remove debris.
Water is then circulated by a submersible pump which is located within a newly installed underground pump chamber, water is pumped through pipelines to a valve chamber at the upper level where it is regulated and split into separate feeds to spread the water flow over the cascades.
The display provides a strong visual and aural water feature with minimum maintenance requirements.